Friday, January 10, 2014

Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! I am starting this as a current fourth year medical student, about five months prior to my graduation from medical school. The past three-and-a-half years have gone by unbelievably quickly, and I am both excited and terrified to take my next steps as a physician.

I grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa, at a time when the country was crawling out of apartheid and taking its first shaky steps as a democratic nation. I came to the USA at 18, to attend college where I studied both chemistry and linguistics. I really fell in love with basic science and global health – I studied cholera in the laboratory, and travelled to India and Bangladesh to study the transmission and treatment of cholera and other diarrheal diseases. In my study of linguistics, I focused on the etymologies of a creole and pidgin language from South Africa.

I started medical school immediately following graduation from college. It has been quite a journey, starting with the pre-clinical/textbook years and the past year, where all students transitioned to clinical work on the wards. As we wrap up school, all of us are interviewing for our residencies, where we will spend the next several (or more) years training in our chosen specialties.


Although I have been writing during all of this time, I have yet to formally post or share anything. I can’t think of a better time to start, and I hope you will enjoy reading my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment