I still
remember that particular English class. This was back in Grade 9, in South
Africa, where I grew up. My English teacher wanted to do a stream-of-consciousness
creative writing exercise: she told us to close our eyes while she led us down
a long, cold, empty corridor, passing multiple doors which our imaginary selves
decide not to explore. We finally come to the end of the corridor, finding an
imposing door, unlocked. We reach for the doorknob, swing the door open, and
enter.
Perhaps it
was the tone of voice my teacher used, or maybe it was the chill we
collectively felt as we envisioned walking down the ghost-like passageway. But,
I remember – as we volunteered to read out our essays – almost all of us ended
up writing about a sad experience. I wrote about my grandfather’s burial, which
I had attended when I was five years old. As a teenager, preoccupied with the
stresses of growing up, I hadn’t yet devoted much time to thinking about the
larger questions of life and death. Although I hadn’t consciously thought about
it, I realized then, as I reread my essay, that I had internalized my
grandfather’s death, and that it had stayed with me through the years.
During
medical school, I recall encountering death only a handful of times, but always
at a distance. On my internal medicine rotation, a patient who was about to die
was ‘handled’ by the resident and the attending before being sent home in what
was conveyed to be “a spirit ambulance”. I heard physicians using the
all-too-familiar gallows humor, part of what’s known to be the ‘hidden
curriculum’, joking between each other “not to kill patients” and discussing patients
nearing “celestial discharges” - but I never actually saw anyone die. Looking
back, I always seemed to be held at arm’s length from the process of death, almost
as though I were being shielded from it. For instance, as medical students we
didn’t routinely rotate through the sickest oncology wards. Even during a
surgical ICU rotation in my fourth year, I never followed a patient who
ultimately died while I was on service. Perhaps it was my naïvetée, or just the
collection of experiences I had happened to have as a medical student, but even
as a fourth year I still believed that death was a rare event in the hospital,
hushed.
In
retrospect, it’s possible I should have taken more initiative. I knew all
healthcare professionals had to consider death, and had to have code-status
discussions. These were handled by the intern or the resident when I was a
student. I was never encouraged or asked to have the conversation myself, nor
did I really know how to. While we had spent hours practicing how to elicit the
history of present illness (HPI), learning how to convey bad news to a patient,
interjecting our conversations with sympathetic statements to make our patients
feel better – my formal education never did include learning how to discuss the
case of death with a patient. While we learnt how to do CPR, we were never
taught the best way to ask a patient if they wanted CPR done; while we learnt
about auscultating lungs or about ventilators, we never discussed how to ask
whether a patient ever wanted to be intubated in the first place.
The
orientation week of my intern year, just a month after graduating from medical
school, went by in a blur. I remember we had a five-minute discussion on
handling death, and it entailed making sure we filled out a death certificate
properly. I speculated about how I would handle that first patient death, when
it came. I didn’t expect it to happen soon, or too often, given my prior
experiences – or rather, lack of experiences.
I quickly
learnt otherwise. I started my first month as a doctor in the medical ICU
(MICU), taking care of (presumably) some of the sickest patients in the hospital.
In that month alone, my three co-interns and I collectively witnessed three
deaths. What I think we had to learn quickly was how to deal with the deaths
both emotionally and mentally, remaining stoic in front of patients as did our
more wizened residents – and yet taking time to be human: to mourn, to pay our
respects, all while being urged to take care of what I felt to be the administrative
aspect of the deaths, such as filing death certificates, making sure a summary
of the patient’s course before death was in the chart, speaking with the organ
donation bank, and so on.
But perhaps
what has interested me the most has been the discussion of death before it even
happens – whether the death is imminent, or extremely unlikely. We were
required to discuss code status with all patients as they were admitted into
the ICU. After watching my resident end the patient interview with a
code-status discussion a few times, I felt I was ready to follow suit. It
became almost robotic, in the same way the rest of the patient interview had
become for me. Did the patient want CPR done in the event their heart stopped? Did
the patient want a tube down their breathing pipe if the medical team felt that
they (the patient) needed help breathing? Yes/No, Yes/No. Depending on their
answers, the output was either DNR only, DNI only, DNR and DNI, or Full Code. I
thought I knew the meanings of all these terms; it seemed simple, straightforward,
mechanical.
These
discussions were usually concise. Perhaps I am just excusing myself, but I just
felt pressured to get an answer – any answer – and move on. In-training
residents, busy and exhausted, have a lot on their plates and, especially at
this time of year, what feels like little time to take care of it all. But
often, I’d stop: there was more to it. Some patients told me they had already
thought about the issues and didn’t want any form of resuscitation. Often, when
asked why, they would explain their fear of ‘living as a vegetable’ for the
rest of their lives. Some were scared of broken bones and being so disabled
after being ‘brought back’ that the amount of time spent in rehab would far
overshadow this second life. On the other hand, I had many patients who, for
whatever personal reasons, had either not discussed these issues with their
loved ones, or who might not have even allowed themselves to think about the
issue. On a few occasions, I had patients turn to me and ask me my thoughts. I
can’t tell them what to do, I thought. The best I was able to provide was to
elaborate – and the best I could come up with was to explain what CPR entailed,
and when and why we would consider intubating a patient. These explanations
barely touched the surface of these deep (and life-altering) issues.
There was
much more I could be doing. And there was a lot more that I realized I – and other
physicians – needed to know. Did I (we) truly understand all of the terms?
Apparently not. One day, I read in a patient’s chart, written by a physician: “Patient
is DNR, but can use fluids to resuscitate.” I was originally explaining to
patients that when we resuscitated them, that would mean we would perform CPR.
Well, this doctor’s comment reminded me that in medicine, we use the term ‘resuscitate’
when we refer to giving a dehydrated patient fluids or blood products, in
addition to the conventional CPR usage. Is this something we should be
explaining to patients? Another example: one night, when I was taking care of
someone else’s patient who I was told was likely fatally sick, I was told “The
patient is DNR/DNI, but does not want use of pressors or anything invasive”. I
knew that patients who were close to dying would be made CMO – comfort measures
only – where the patient would receive nothing but palliative pain medications
to (hopefully) remove pain, and nothing more. How is the decision made to
change the status from one to the other? As physicians, we treat them as two
separate islands, when in reality there exists a large grey ocean between
DNR/DNI-land and CMO-land. How do we convey this to the sick and dying patient?
In contrast
to my (in retrospect) simplistic code-status discussions, there were several
instances when my attending would repeat the discussions the morning after: probing
a little deeper, having a longer and more in-depth discussion – something years
of experience afforded an attending. And it was these conversations that often
revealed that neither the patient nor I truly understood the nuances of all of
these terms. One attending in particular, recognizing the DNR/DNI patient who
was afraid resuscitation would do more bad than good, helped the patient
visualize circumstances in which the patient, otherwise healthy, would need ‘minimal’
resuscitation – and could go on living a healthy life. “What if you choked on
some phlegm – if we did a little CPR, you’d cough it up, and you could live
another forty years,” my attending said. “But if you were DNR/DNI, we’d have to
stand back and watch you die. Is that what you want?” The patient changed his
mind and made himself Full Code after that conversation. I realized after this
happened a few times that my attending would go out of his way to have these
conversations with the younger patients – those in their fifties or sixties,
who had the potential to live long (supposedly) healthy lives after their care
and thereby supporting my attending’s view they should be Full Code. And yet,
from my perspective, they also had the possibility of staying in the supposed ‘vegetable’
state for many years, which was why I understood the patient’s reasoning for
not wanting to go down that road in the first place. Maybe I felt uncomfortable
with the feeling I had that my attending was pushing a patient to change his
mind. Or perhaps it didn’t sit well with me that our overall attitude was to do
as much as possible – and only if everything
didn’t work, we would back off.
Psychological
and ethical studies (such as the famous trolley problem) have shown us that
there’s a clear difference between actively doing something versus passively allowing
something to happen. We were being the activists: be Full Code now, we seemed
to advocate, and if things don’t work out, we’ll back off later. Is that
something each patient would want? What if the patient’s religion, culture and
background don’t support the do-all take on medical practice, on sickness and
cure? Another thought: does the patient, who changes his mind under pressure
and (mild) confrontation, fully understand the subtleties of active and passive
medical care?
What my
attending emphasized, regardless, was that these were not static decisions –
should the patient become worse, and full recovery was less likely, then the
discussion would be revisited. “This is a moving target,” as my attending said.
And my experiences proved this to be true. But how ‘competent’, to use the
legal term, is the sicker patient (or the patient’s family)? Can they truly
make a decision at that point, and does that new decision really reflect the
patient and the family’s wishes? Could this be said of the initial decision,
when they do not know what could potentially happen?
My questions are
endless. What is the best way to do the code-status discussion? Is the simple
explanation – to resuscitate or not to resuscitate? to intubate or not to
intubate? – the way to present this extremely complex issue to the patient? Is
that even fair, given that even physicians don’t seem to agree on what we mean
by ‘do not resuscitate’? Or rather, should these be the way we enter into the
discussion, as a means to allow future conversations on the topic? Are we
skirting the real issues with these simple questions, not really allowing the
patient to understand fully the subtleties of the questions we are asking? By
not addressing the issue in full, by not ‘burdening’ the patient with all the
issues, are we being paternalistic as physicians? Do we have time to go into in-depth
discussions, check-lists, and questioning with every single patient?
I don’t have
a good answer for these questions, except for the last: unequivocally, yes. This
is literally the life-or-death question, so yes, of course we have time to discuss
this vital issue. We must make time for it. What I still don’t know is how best
to do it. I feel now, as though I am just checking off a box: I have to ask
this, I tell myself, and make sure something about this is written in the
patient’s chart. . Reflecting back, I wish my four years of medical school had
prepared me better for this. I wish I had had prior practice with this
difficult issue, in the same way I had opportunities to tell patient-actors in
my medical school classes that I had bad news for them.
Despite the
fact that death features in all of our lives, at least in this culture, we are
uncomfortable speaking about it. As physicians, we should be the most
comfortable speaking to our patients about it. It shouldn’t be a repressed
memory, like the death of my grandfather was. It shouldn’t be a question that’s
mumbled, quickly, to get it out of the way. It needs to be handled, broadly,
openly, by all physicians. We need to learn how to convey the complexities of
the decision without scaring the patient; they should be feeling empowered
through being involved in this decision. We need to decide when is the right
time to speak about these issues, and how patients and their families handle
the discussion in the course of their illness. Maybe it’s time we readdressed
what our code-status terms mean: is it right to compartmentalize patients into
these code-status boxes, when clearly there is a lot in-between – and for that
matter, when as physicians we can’t always agree on what the terms mean in the
first place. Maybe they’re not the right terms. Maybe we need to throw them out
and start from scratch, and agree on new terms, even if they are more
expansive. The bottom line is: I think it’s time that we started discussing death.
No comments:
Post a Comment